Saturday, June 2, 2007

Moving Day



Well, the day every parent knows will come, but still dreads, was today. Mallory and Alan loaded up the U-Haul and headed off into the world. They are not moving far away, so we can get there in an hour, and hopefully see them on a regular basis without becoming pests. But a chapter in our lives ended today and a new chapter began for all of us. The house will certainly seem empty without the two of them around on a regular basis. Sure, she moved out of the house for college, but you always knew she'd be back for holidays and summer. She is now on her own. She will come back to visit, but not to live here.

Teresa, Aimee, Alan's dad John, and I moved them today. So, I sit here tonight with a sore back, feeling just a bit empty. Teresa reminds me that this is just a natural progression--kids grow up, get married, move away--but that doesn't make it any easier. I am grateful that they head out into the world with the love and support of both families and a U-Haul full of the necessities to set up their home, which was not the case when Teresa and I got married 27 years ago. As she and Alan pulled away and I saw the lights of their car turn on, I suddenly felt very old.

The roller coaster ride continues--her youngest sister Kelsey heads off to college in the fall, so the process will begin all over again. And I will feel even older.

No comments: